TE71 Part:3 All the small things…

The saying “it’s all in the details” can pertain to just about anything. When it comes to models details are often left out that can make it less desirable to purchase. With a little bit of practice, plenty if reference material, building material and some patience, anything can be made or added to improve the looks of that vaguely detailed kit.
I try to take as many photos as possible. But often I just get in the zone that I completely forget to do so. Although I might be missing a few steps on how do some parts, I think I can talk through the steps.

For the spoiler you can use a notecard or any kind of card stock to make the initial shape. Make it oversized so you can shape it to your desired look.


Next you trace it onto some styrene. I used some that’s roughly 1/16 of an inch.


After you have traced it, cut out the pattern. I used some scissors used for photo etched parts as they are really sharpe. Watch your fingers.
Once you cut it, you can then take 320 grit sand paper and shape it to your desired look.
Here’s what I came out with when I sanded my piece. It’s not the final look, but close to it.



Now for the sides and the area by the tires I use a styrene stripe. This time it was the 1/4″wide x 3/32″ thick.
With these I used a small flat file to shape it to it’s final look. I’ll then use Tamiya poly putty to smooth out some areas.



I then capped of the back side using the same stripe and file to shape it.


For glue I used Pegasus CA glue AKA “crazy glue” and some insta-cure to quicken the drying time. You can spray it on, but I feel as if it wastes it and get all over. So I used an old knife and use it like a dip-n-dab stick. (I’ll snap a pic of these and other items I have used later)

Since I’ll be running this chin spoiler up front, I had to do something for the rear. I wanted to make a trunk wing from styrene, but it didn’t work out so well. So I used some Tamiya 2-part epoxy putty, quick curing time. I saw retro-garage had made one that had the Rocket Bunny style going on, which was what I wanted to do, so I used theirs as a reference.

I got somewhat close to how I wanted it shaped. (Big blob lol) What mattered to me is that it sat flush to the trunk lid as it’s contoured along the top and backside.


After letting the putty cure a few days cause it’s fairly thick. I took a craft saw to cut off the excess putty from the top. This also gave me a straight edge.
After sanding it with 320 grit to get the shape, I have this. It still needs a bit more work to smooth it over, but I’m happy with the shape.





Now I can use the bench seat looking rear bumper, or even make the shorty metal bumper, but I like the bumper-less look on these corollas.

There is no detail on the body that resembles the bare rear panel (refer to last pic with wing), so I decided to give it that detail.

I used a pin vise and drilled out some holes to make the square holes. I used a small square file and flat file to square them off. For the smaller squares, I put a thin piece of styrene stripe on the back side to enclose them. On the corners where the bumper would sit. I added some putty to fill is the edges as they are not as defined on the real thing. Also trimming back the bottom step by where the muffler sits adds a better look to it. There’s also a piece of styrene to resemble the brace for the bumper skin.

Reference pic via, the web.

What I managed to pull off. Fairly close.


Now in some of the pics I have muffler can mounted. It was kind of the route I wanted to go, but I didn’t like this shape. It was a bit odd after looking at it for a while. I wanted an Apex-i style canister, but I actually don’t have any material that comes close to making one. So I decided on a Buddy Club Spec-II over diff. Some styrene tube and a small piece of aluminum tubing i got this. I used a small candle to soften the styrene tube to be able to shape it this way. It’s a bit tricky, cause if you get it to hot it caves in or it doesn’t keep it’s round shape. I would normally use solid rod for this, but I didn’t have any that slipped into the alum tip.
The aluminum piece is sanded with 2000 grit to smooth and remove the small pores in the raw aluminum and then I using Blue Magic alloy polishing compound, it shines it up real nice.

I used what I believe was .035 dia styrene rod for the hanger. I just drill a hole on the chassis to glue onto place on the final build up.



This is where I’ll leave this at. I know I mentioned interior pics in partII, but I think I’ll leave that for another part.

Stay tuned and than you for passing by.

2 thoughts on “TE71 Part:3 All the small things…

  1. cool rolla. …
    check my rolla riyanmadhan.wordpress.com

    I made it with standar 1600GT rolla and convert to quadlights 5 years ago before aoshime release this TE71

    1. Ah yes, I remember seeing this one on face book. One of the many model car pages..haha it’s an awesome build. I have bought several of the square light kits with the intentions of doing this conversion and others. But I never got to it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s